1 pint strawberries, cleaned, stemmed and sliced (around 2 ½ cups)
4 TB sugar, divided
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking powder
6 TB unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into pieces (do in advance)
1 ¼ cup heavy cream, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Gently crush about a quarter of the berries with a fork to release their flavor, and place in a small bowl with the remaining berries and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Mix and set aside to allow flavor to develop.
2. Preheat oven to 450°
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the softened butter and mix together with your hands, until it butter and flour combine into a crumbly mixture. Then add 2/3 cup cream, and mix to a soft dough.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for about 1 minute until just combined. With your hands, flatten dough make a disc about ½ inch thick. Do not overwork the dough. Cut into rounds using a 3 inch biscuit or cookie cutter.
5. Butter a baking tray, and transfer biscuits to the tray, and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly brown.
6. Remove from the oven, let cool. Meanwhile, beat the remaining 2/3 cup cream and ½ tsp. vanilla extract until it is thick.
7. To assemble: slice biscuits in half. Place a bottom half on a plate. Top with a spoonful of berries, and some whipped cream. Cover with top half, and a small spoon of cream and a few more berries, if desired. Do not assemble until ready to serve.
Extra shortcakes may be frozen. Warmed in an oven before using.
You may wish to purchase a 3 or 3 ½ inch round cookie or biscuit cutter for this recipe.